Tuesday, July 31, 2007

This is a post I wanted to put up for a long time, and never got around doing it till now.

-~-

The wedding speech I wrote for them -

"Hello. For those who doesn’t know me, I’m Junie, Hilary’s sister. I trust everyone is enjoying their dinner, but I’ve been asked to do a speech so please bear with me while I ramble on for the next few minutes. Before I start, can I just say that Hilary, you look absolutely gorgeous tonight. And Siong Seng, you don’t look too bad yourself.

I remember I first met Siong Seng at a family gathering. Likewise, it was the first time he met the entire family. And it was during this first meeting that I concluded that my sister – has weird taste. Throughout the evening, Siong Seng was just sitting in a corner keeping quiet. I tried talking to him, he just gave me short answers. Not exactly the best conversationalist. I tried joking with him, he just gave me weird looks, not understanding my jokes at all. After a while, I gave up and decided that we simply just weren’t on the same wavelength.

However, that was years ago. When I went to Edinburgh for my studies, I had the pleasure to get to know them as a couple. I would go over to my sister’s flat for dinner with her and Siong Seng. And although conversation was dry, food was bad, and most of the time I had to wash the plates, I really enjoyed their company. Most importantly I got to know Siong Seng much better. He would bring me out for dinner, help me with my work, advice me when I’m in trouble and basically look out for me. Like a big brother. He won me over after a couple of dinner treats. Siong Seng is a brilliant guy and is loyal, sincere, humble, intelligent, considerate, good-looking, trustworthy… (at which point I looked and Siong Seng and told him his handwriting is really bad). In any case, he’s the perfect man for my sister, just the right brother for me and Keith, the ideal son for my parents and the best new addition to our family. And that’s Siong Seng for you.

There’s nothing more I can add to what everybody here must already know about my sister. Doesn’t go anywhere beyond the looks to be honest. On a serious note, I am most grateful to have such a beautiful and lovely sister. Hilary, it was nice growing up with someone like you - someone who is my best friend, someone I can trust to care for me, protect me and love me as I am.

And here I propose a toast to Siong Seng and Hilary.

Remember, to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.

My greatest wish for the two of you is that through the years your love for each other will so deepen and grow, that years from now you will look back on this day, your wedding day, as the day you loved each other the least. May the best day of your past be the worst day of your future.

Siong Seng, welcome to the family. Please take care of my sister. She’s very precious. Hilary, please be nice to him, he pays the mortgage.

Thank you".